What is Dwelling Fire Insurance?
Dwelling Fire Insurance is a contract between you and your Insurance Company. It can provide coverage for your Home (Primary or Secondary) as well as for other dwellings that you may rent to others. Typically, Dwelling Fire Insurance only covers the actual structure against covered losses. In exchange for your premium payment, your Insurance Company agrees to pay losses as defined in your policy.
- Other Structures Coverage
- Detached structures like garages, fences, and sheds on your property can be covered if damaged by a covered cause of loss.
- Personal Property Coverage
- Your personal items in your home such as furniture, clothing, and electronics can be covered if damaged by a covered cause of loss.
- Coverage can be provided for owner provided items in a Dwelling rented to others.
- Loss of Rents or Additional Living Expenses Coverage
- If a covered cause of loss means that your rented dwelling can’t be occupied, Loss of Rents coverage can reimburse for a portion of the lost Rental income.
- If a covered cause of loss means that your Home can’t be lived in, Additional Living Expenses coverage provides additional housing and living expenses while repairs are being made. o Personal Liability Coverage or Premises Guest Liability
- If you or a household family member is responsible for causing injury or damage to other people or their property, Personal Liability coverage can be available to pay for the injury or damage. This can include guests who are injured on your property. Additionally, coverage can be provided for legal defense for injury or damage to others.
- Premises Guest Liability provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage to guests while on premises that you rent to others. Typically, the bodily injury or property damage must be shown to have been caused by your negligence.
- Replacement Cost Coverage for Dwelling, Other Structures and Personal Property
- Some Dwelling Fire policies provide coverage to Repair or Replace your damaged buildings or belongings with new items of like kind and quality.
The content available via Grange.com is for
informational purposes only and may not be used for any other purpose. Content provided or
expressed on Grange.com, including that of third parties, may not reflect Grange Insurance
Association’s (GIA) policies or conform to any agreement you may have with GIA and its subsidiary
companies. Please contact a licensed insurance agent to obtain particular advice.