Find an independent agent near you


The latest news about the insurance industry

Home Insurance
Renters Insurance

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Water damage can be a real headache for homeowners. Not only are there insurance considerations, but there’s also the time and effort it takes to coordinate repairs. In today’s insurance blog, we answer your questions about Homeowners insurance and water damage.

What Type of Water Damage is Covered by Homeowners Insurance?

It depends on the source of the water damage and the limits of your policy. Generally speaking, standard Homeowners insurance policies cover water damage that is deemed to be “sudden and accidental,” as long as it is not caused by a lack of maintenance or neglect. This includes water damage from covered perils, which often include burst pipes, water from extinguishing a fire, an accidental overflow from a household appliance, rain or snow, a leaking roof, or vandalism. However, when water damage results from floods, it is not covered unless you’ve purchased special flood insurance coverage. Surface and ground water are typically not covered; however, these could potentially be added by endorsement.

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Mold?

Once again, the answer depends on the source of the mold and the limits of your policy. Most standard Homeowners insurance policies cover mold only when it is directly caused by a covered peril and is not the result of neglect. In other words, if the water damage you incurred is covered cause of loss (plumbing or HVAC), the mold damage from the same source should also be covered. That said, most standard Homeowners insurance policies have a cap for the amount they will pay for mold testing, remediation and removal from a single occurrence.

How Can You Prevent Water Damage in Your Home?

The best way to prevent water damage is to monitor and maintain common sources of water damage.

Maintaining Your Home to Prevent Water Damage

There are plenty of home maintenance tasks that help prevent water damage, fires, and other accidents that can lead to costly damage. Here’s what you should be doing to prevent water damage in your home.

  • Keep your gutters and downspouts clean
  • Reseal cracks in caulking around tubs, toilets, sinks, windows, and door frames
  • Have your water heater inspected annually
  • Test your sump pump annually
  • Control humidity levels in your home
  • Inspect appliance hoses and faucets
  • Don’t leave the house while the dishwasher or washing machine is running
  • Keep belongings stored off the floor and on shelves in the basement and garage

Monitoring Your Home for Water Damage

While visually checking seals and caulking, plumbing pipes, appliance hoses, and faucets for cracks and leaks is important, water, leak, and freeze detection systems like Roost are your best bet for protecting your home from water damage. Not only do Roost’s sensors accurately detect water, humidity, and temperature, but they also alert your smartphone and allow you to shut off your water to prevent costly water damage. Be sure to consider how different “smart home” systems can help keep your home protected.

Why Choose Grange for Your Homeowners Insurance?

At Grange Insurance Association, we believe that the real value in an insurance policy is the claims service you receive when something bad happens. Here’s a testimonial from one of our valued policyholders who filed a water damage claim through their Grange Homeowners insurance policy.

The best way to know what’s covered in your Homeowners insurance policy is to talk directly to your insurance agent. In the meantime, check out our insurance blog, where we cover everything from how to do a home inventory to how to choose your Homeowners insurance deductible amount.

The content available via is for informational purposes only and may not be used for any other purpose. Content provided or expressed on, including that of third parties, may not reflect Grange Insurance Association’s (GIA) policies or conform to any agreement you may have with GIA and its subsidiary companies. Please contact a licensed insurance agent to obtain particular advice.

Related Posts

Home Insurance

Questions to Ask Your Homeowners Insurance Agent Every Year

Read More
Home Insurance

Social Host Liability: What It Is & What It Means for Your Holiday Party

Read More
Home Insurance

Insurance to Value: Why It May Be Time to Revisit Your Home Replacement Cost

Read More

We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions. By continuing to use our website, you accept these terms and policies.

OK, got it