A Good Fit: Guide to Finding the Right Insurance Agent
No matter what type of insurance policy you are looking for, finding an insurance agent you trust is guaranteed to make the process a lot easier. At Grange Insurance Association, we’ve been working with independent insurance agents since 1894, so we know a lot about what it takes to be a good one. Read our guide below on how to find the right insurance agent to meet your needs.
What Are the Two Types of Insurance Agents?
- Captive Insurance Agents – This type of insurance agent sells insurance for one company only and is limited to their products.
- Independent Insurance Agents – This type of agent sells policies for a number of different companies and can customize solutions to meet your needs.
How to Pick an Insurance Agent
- Decide which type of agent you want to work with: a captive or independent insurance agent.
- Ask friends or family if they have an agent they would recommend.
- Read reviews – check Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Yelp for reviews of insurance agents nearby.
- Once you’ve narrowed down the selection to nearby agents with a good reputation, set up in-person meetings or calls to discuss your needs and how they can help. Ask questions and take notes so that you can refer to them when making your decision. Here are a few questions to get you started:
- “How long have you been an insurance agent?”
- “Do you specialize in any specific types of insurance?”
- “Are you an independent agent?”
- “What is the process to file a claim?”
- Review your notes and choose the agent who you liked the best. This will be the person who will advocate on your behalf if you ever have to file a claim, so it’s important that they are experienced and you trust them.
Finding an insurance agent can be intimidating, but we can help. Our network of local, independent agents in California, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming are all experienced professionals who would be happy to speak with you about your needs and options.